A Travellerspoint blog

Hawaii ports of call

Lots to do and lots of fun

sunny 29 °C

Our first port of call was Hilo where we had booked a bike trip with the ship. Doug did't feel well and they refunded his money in a heart beat and the rest of us set off. We rode by van to the volcano and went up to view the caldera and visit the museum. From there we visited steam vents and they were hot. I was standing back from the railing around the vent and got a blast of steam in the face that clouded my glasses and made my cheeks red. We drove back down and loaded geared up. The bikes were nice and they had helmets for us and optional raincoats. It was showering off and on so we opted for a jacket.  The ride was great. Most was level or down hill, but we did have one longer hill climb. We made stops along the way where our guide gave us lots of facts about the volcano. We also went through the Thurston Lava tubes where we fiund the second set of tubes is no longer open and here we brought flashlights. At this timw the skys opened and the rain came down in huge drops which had us drenched to the skin. It was great!
Our next stop was Kona where we wandered for a while then g rabbed a taxi to turtle bay. there were lots of differnt fish and we had fun. A quicktaxi ride back got us to the ship on time.
The third port was Maui where we had a car booked. We first picked up our tickets for the Feast at Lele luau and headed up to get our car. They asked if we wanted to upgrade to a convertable. No.... Then they offered  it to us for the same price. how could we say no. I  love convertables now!!!!
We headed up the coast. First stop was Napili Bay to look for turtles. No turtles, but we had fun exploring some tidal pools. Back in the car we continued on as far up Island as we were allowed to go in a rental to enjoy the views. The next stop was a beach with decent waves that gave us time to get used to the surf without being knocked about to much.  Back in Lahaina we found parking for $12 for the night and slowly made our way to the Luau. It was awesome. Unlimited drinks...I tried a few....and a smaller crowd that were served at  the table rather than a buffet. The amount of food was overwhelming and all very good and well....a great variety. The first dances were Hawaiian and so was the food. Then Tahitian dancers and food, then Roatoan and lastly Samoan...then dessert. It was all great and the best was yet to come...it was a short walk back to the tender to the ship. 
Day two in Maui is a drive to the Iao Vlalley. We walked up to the needle and explored a bit before we went down to the park. The door sign says they open at 11 on Sunday and it was about ten two eleven. However another couple not reading the sign walked into yhe building and set the alarm off. Go figure..it wasn't locked. The couple made a quick getaway and no one showed up so we gathered the information and did our own self guided tour. The map and landmarks are not well laid out.. but we enjoyed our walk. We got Dan his coffee and headed back to Port. We dropped Dan and Doug in town and roger and I got the car back and took the shuttle back to town. The line up for the tender was to long so we went for a drink. 
Next port was Nawiliwiliwhere we picked up a taxi. The ride was short and we were at our stop for our adventure of the day. We were tubing the ditch. So we were oufitted with helmets and lights as well as gloves. We were loaded into Swiss military vehicles. Kind of like a big jeep with two benches in the back with seatbelts that don't work. Our guide was funny and chatty and we learned there was a family from Arizona, us and a couple from Washington state. We left the road and went through a locked gate onto an acreage. The road got worse and then worse again. We teached our starting point and piled out. We went up a ramp and down to the ditch where we kind of backed up and dropped butt first into our tube. The ride was fun...slow at times...down a grade and faster...through tunnels..through wide stretches and narrow ones. It was fun!!! It took a while, but the ride was over in no time. We enjoyed a light lunch before our drive back to the start. 
We pulled into Honolulu the next day. Dan and Doug left for their time on Kona and we decided to stay on board and enjoy some R&R. 

Posted by Mari Anne 23:28 Archived in USA Tagged volcano maui bike tube snorkle ditch nawiliwili

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.